Related Posts with Thumbnails

Friday, June 19, 2009

Water Camps

Sometimes I think I know something and sometimes I just know. I was talking to a Jack & Jill mom and she confirmed what I do know about the lack of diversity in camps that specialize in water activities. She sent her daughter - who had an interest in marine biology - to a program where she spent an entire 2 weeks (?) on a boat in the interest of searching out the patterns of whale migration. Very cool. The boat/camp made a U.S. land stop and participated in a 4th of July parade where her daughter was stared at by the locals. Not because she smelled like fish; and not because had on a funny hat. She was - yet again - the only Brown Girl in the program.

What I don't know is why parents from diverse backgrounds don't necessarily expose their children to sea camps. Even if a child doesn't have the best swimming skills, a life vest becomes the necessary support and any Adventurers best friend. After all, nothing can compare to the delight in a child's eyes when she sees a school of dolphins right off the edge of a boat. It beats Sea World, that's for sure.

Tracey
Camp Director

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
footer