Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Days Five & Six on St. Thomas

Yesterday was my day to relax. I lounged around on the beach and read a book. In between my naps and my reading, I took a bunch of notes and gave some more thought to the camp. Resting definitely revitalized me, but I have a sunburn and that's annoying since I really should know better.

Today I visited Coral World (on St. Thomas) where I will take the girls on a day trip. Coral World is similar to Sea World, only with a tropical twist. It's a small but interesting place with iguana, ducks and a resident pelican roaming around freely amongst the tanks, aquariums and open ponds with sharks, stingray, sea turtles and a variety of other sealife.

My favorite sea animal is the sea turtle. They're an endangered species and signage was posted reminding everyone that the use of plastic bags poses an enormous threat not only to the environment but to the sea turtles as well. Swallowing non-biodegradable plastic - as you can imagine - is dangerous to all sea (and land) life. Using canvas totes at the grocery store was suggested. If you've seen the OBG tote on the Product Page on OneBrownGirl.com, you know that OBG is behind this initiative 100%.

During the camp session next year, I've decided to offer the girls rewards/prizes for answering questions about what they learned about sea life on their day trip to Coral World. One of CampCaribe's goals is to make learning fun and this is a perfect opportunity.

I have a few errands to run tomorrow, one of which is to go to Cost U Less to see if they have citronella candles so I can try to minimize the mosquitos and no-see-ums (aka sand fleas). I have way too many bug bites and the candles along with the citronella should help. I'll probably also go back to the beach. You know...for research.

Chat soon...

Tracey
Camp Director
CampCaribe
 
footer